- US AND CANADA CARGO CLAIMS
US AND CANADA CARGO CLAIMS
INCIDENT NOTIFICATION/PRELIMINARY NOTICE/LETTERS OF INTENT FOR CARGO LOSS OR DAMAGE DISCHARGED IN NORTH AMERICA (US & CANADA) OR EXPORT CARGO FROM NORTH AMERICA THAT DID NOT SAIL DUE TO LOSS OR DAMAGE
- Upon determining that cargo loss or damage has occurred, the cargo owner must immediately notify their insurance carrier and ONE North America (ONE NA).
- A Notice of loss or damage and the general nature of such loss or damage must be given in writing to ONE NA or its agent at the port of discharge or place of delivery before or at the time of delivery of Goods, or if the loss or damage is not apparent, within 3 days after delivery. The Notice should be filled via the online Claims Application at https://us.one-line.com/claim-landing-page. The Notice should include the Vessel and Voyage, Bill of Lading Number, Container Number(s), detailed description of the loss or damage, and the known or estimated amount of loss or damage.
If requesting the participation in a joint survey by the cargo owner and ONE NA, the current location of the cargo (full street address), the business name, contact name, email address, and telephone number must be provided.
The survey ordered by and on behalf of ONE is strictly for ONE’s internal use only. The survey will not be shared. The cargo owner and/or their insurer should appoint an independent surveyor on their own behalf.
CONCEALED DAMAGES (Damages found after opening the container):
If damage is found upon opening the container, unloading of the container should cease immediately upon discovery of cargo loss or damage to determine if a survey is required.
FORMAL/FINAL CLAIMS AND DOCUMENTS:
Final Claims must be filed in English or translated into English. Claims should be filed to ONE NA Claims via the online Claims Application at https://us.one-line.com/claim-landing-page. Please attach all Claims documents, including colored photos.
If the Final Claim has not been acknowledged by ONE NA within five (5) business days, please contact the ONE NA Claims Department at (804) 256-3575.
THE FOLLOWING DOCUMENTS MUST BE SUBMITTED TO ONE NA CLAIMS BEFORE A CLAIM WILL BE REVIEWED:
- A formal detailed statement of the Claim on the Claimant’s company letterhead identifying the ONE Vessel & Voyage, Bill of Lading Number, Container Number, Claim Amount (itemized calculation or breakdown of the costs), and a description of the loss/damage.
- Copy of the ONE Bill of Lading or Sea Waybill.
- Commercial Invoice & Packing List from the origin country.
- Claimant's survey report, with photos (if applicable).
- Delivery Receipt noting seal number and exceptions.
- Receiving report or Tally Sheet notating exceptions and type of loss/damage. The Tally should indicate the container, seal number, and loss or damage cargo by package number, style, and size, in cases of mixed shipments.
- Colored Photos (of damaged cargo, voids, and container, at the time of opening the container) if no survey is arranged. ONE NA may request a survey at its sole discretion.
- Certificate of destruction for unsalvageable cargo. This includes but is not limited to a receipt from a refuse company, a dumping or landfill facility describing the cargo being destroyed or dumped, or a statement on company letterhead by an executive officer with photos evidencing the destruction or dumping of the cargo.
- Evidence of salvage. Any salvage proceeds realized should be deducted from the gross Claim amount.
- Packing certificate or evidence of container stuffing for shortage claims, including but not limited to photos of the cargo inside the container at time of loading and time of unloading.
- Evidence of the condition of the container prior to loading.
- House (NVOCC) Bill of Lading, if applicable.
- Quality Inspections and laboratory testing results if cargo is claimed to be contaminated.
SEAL EXCEPTIONS: Shortage, Lost, Missing Cargo:
The claimant must include documentation of the application of seals or security devices at origin and actual loading and unloading records, along with colored photos at destination to show voids, loss, or damage in any claim for Cargo Loss or Damage relating to a shortage or seal exception.
In addition to the above-required documents, claimant must also Provide:
- Temperature records (i.e., Portable Recorder).
- Produce harvest date(s) (if applicable).
- Container stuffing and devanning date(s).
- Shipping instructions with temperature and vent settings.
- Booking Confirmation Notice confirming the temperature and vent settings.
IT IS THE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE CARGO INTEREST TO TAKE ALL NECESSARY STEPS TO MITIGATE ANY AND ALL CARGO LOSS OR DAMAGE, WHICH MAY INCLUDE SEGREGATION OF DAMAGED CARGO, RECONDITIONING, REPACKAGING OR SALVAGE.
BILL OF LADING / SEAWAY TERMS:
THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF THE ONE BILL OF LADING CAN BE FOUND AT:
Acknowledgement of preliminary and formal Claims is not an admission of liability and is made without prejudice to any defenses available to ONE under the contract of carriage and applicable law, none of which is waived.
Ocean Network Express (North America) Inc.